Wednesday 26 November 2014

Handcoloring

This assignment didn't really focus on photography, but rather focused on each individual’s artistic sense. The assignment was to print two copies of a photo we've taken sized 8 x 10, and then use small tubes of paint to color the black and white image in. We used cotton balls and q-tips to smear the SMALL AMOUNT of paint on the subject (we had to use a small amount because using too much would make the image look extremely artificial). This task was quite difficult for me, as I am not such an artistic person when it comes to paints or watercolors. It sure took me a long time to hand color this image, experiencing some difficulties as I went along. For example, I could never get the skin tone correct, and my paint layer kept going uneven as I tried to smooth it out (just shows how inartistic I am!). However, as I kept going, hand coloring this and that, I managed to get a hang of what I was doing and finish coloring the baby and the mother in the foreground. The background, however, I did not have enough time to do, as I spent so long trying to perfect the foreground.

This image was taken on a hot Sunday afternoon in KLCC, perfect for families to spend days out together. 

The original image :


The hand colored image:



I am more proud of the following photo than I am of the mother and her baby. I think, for me, coloring in the mother and the baby were a bit of practice, warming me up for the real task. I eventually got the hand of it in the mother and baby photo, and applied those skills in the photo below. I did not take this image; my photography teacher Mr. Paul Ubl, but I hand colored it. This image was taken in the jungles of Malaysia, and, according to my photography teacher, this home was the only one visible in the area - the rest was all trees and forests. I think the image is really nice hand colored, as I used different shades of green to color in the trees, making it a lot less dull. I also colored in tiny little details, such as the yellow mud boots and the tiny bushes on the side of the rock. I also colored each individual plant pot. Overall, this image is a lot more 'finished' than my other one, as everything has a tinge of paint on it. I am really proud of this photo, and wish I could say all credits go to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment